Moving volume monitoring out of process (Was Re: gio, gvfs and nautilus fixes)

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 15:43 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I really don't know how to do that in a clean way... I don't know. It's
> both nice and annoying that volume monitoring now is in-process.

So maybe one thing to consider for gvfs for gnome 2.24 is to move the
hal volume monitoring code out of process. This can be done without ABI
changes; the client side bits would just be stubs/proxies/cache using
D-Bus to talk to a private D-Bus service.

Then we'd add gnome_mount_get_mount_flags() and also have a mount flag
to GMountMountFlags, say G_MOUNT_MOUNT_FLAG_WAS_AUTOMOUNTED.

Also, this would solve some of the issues we have for x-content/*
handling; the out-of-process hal volume monitor will just scan each new
mount.

Finally, we'd get rid of some existing (libhal.so) and future library
pollution in each app using gio/gvfs.

Thoughts?

     David