RE: Comment on the Nautilus web page

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 10:17 +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

> >> Perhaps someone should add some of that to the web page?
>
> > I don't think there is much need to have the documentation online.
> > Moreover, it's subject to (minor) changes with any release. The
> > installed version does have the appropriate documentation available.
>
>  What about distros that don´t include documentation to save space
> (i.e. in LiveCD distros that are installed in hard disk).

Please feel free to complain to the distro. Nautilus ships with docs.
It's not us who removed it.  And frankly, saving space is only necessary
for the *live* CD version. After installing to hard disk, these missing
but vital bits should be installed by the distro.

> Online documentation can be automated are sync with release
> documentation.

You missed my point. Yes, online documentation can be in sync with the
latest release. But do you use the latest release? Are you going to
update next week?

The point is, that real life used versions out there are not only the
latest versions. Consider stuff like Debian and RHEL. Should the website
keep docs for at least 5 years, and thus 10 different versions to pick
from?

We can't assume a user to know the version. Moreover, we can't even
assume the user to know the "file manager" to be called Nautilus.
Instead of tracking down the apps name, version and its project website,
all the user has to do is to hit F1.

  guenther