Re: Possible speed enhancement

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 15:35 +0200, Milosz Derezynski wrote:
> Allright, good tip, thanks.
>
> One other thing that occured to me is that it would be possible to
> list files very quickly without checking the type,
> and then (in a thread) read the types and display the according icons
> (or generally the thumbnails).
>
> I'm not sure how far this is off from something that could get
> accepted. What does everyone think about this?

It sounds good in theory, but in practice it doesn't really speed
anything up, because as you read in the file types after the fact things
flash around and change a lot, sometimes being re-sorted or just
re-drawn. You also cannot e.g. open file or do other per-type operations
until the type is read. Its generally hard to use the UI while all this
is happening, so users just wait until its done. This means all the
complexity in getting this to work just wastes time.