Nautilus closing and restarting unexpectedly

Hello list,

I'm on x86_64 Gentoo here and experiencing a problem with nautilus: When Gnome starts up, the desktop icons are displayed properly. However, as soon as I double click any folder or open up a terminal and start nautilus, I experience weird behaviour: nautilus starts up, but closes immediately (after around 200-300 ms). This happens 10 times, then nautilus is just gone. After this is tried once, the desktop icons disappear completely. I've tried removing the .gnome, .gnome_private, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, .nautilus, .gcond and .gconfd directories, but the problem persists.

I've also tried remerging the nautilus pacakge as I thought it might have been some dependency problem. It didn't change anything, revdep-rebuild found no unfulfilled dependencies.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Johannes