Re: Nautilus vs gnome-shell and the future

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 17:04 +0100, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
>       * even with many applications opened, the desktop is just one
>         click (or one keystroke) away from you (Ctrl+Alt+D or the "Show
>         Desktop" applet).
>       * it's a very big space to save things. If we're going to have
>         something like a file stack in gnome-shell, we should make it
>         sure it has the right amount of space. [...]

  For what it's worth, I need to interject here.  I know many people
(myself included) who turn desktop icons off, not because I keep many
windows open all the time (it's easy to access desktop as Cosimo wrote),
but because I hate to look at the messy, unevenly shaped, partially
overlapping icons, sometimes with large gaps between them.  More than,
say, 5 or 6 icons on the desktop simply demand my attention; they
scream: "Drag us around!  Make us look neat!"  Then I have to keep doing
that for every new couple of icons that land on the desktop.

  I am not against the idea of desktop icons -- just saying that the
current desktop icon layout scheme imposes a large "aesthetic tax" on
some people, growing proportionally with the number of icons and how
often they are added/removed.

  Hence I am looking forward to stacks as proposed here.

Zoran