Re: Split/dual pane view again (but this time with code)

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 12:23 +0100, John Keller wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:

> >> Tab is already closely connected to focusing things, be it Alt-Tab for
> >> the WM, or Tab alone for the focus chain. I can very well see Ctrl-Tab
> >> become "focus the most important thing of the current window, or
> >> iterate between equally important things if you're already there".
> >
> > Well, Ctrl-Tab already has a different meaning in Gtk+. Not that this
> > can't change or anything, but its a point against it.
>
> I'm not sure that I read the HIG as strictly as you seem to for this
> key. "[I]n those situations where Tab alone has another function".
> Pressing Tab gets me through a focus chain (whose length depends on the
> elements in the window). Seems logical that Ctrl+Tab jumps to a key spot
> in the chain, or cycles through it, as Holder mentions here and I did in
> the other thread.

The HIG just describes what Gtk+ already does for Ctrl-Tab. It is
handled by default as a normal tab, but specific widgets may handle it
differently when thay have focus. However, the behaviour we discuss is
completely different, we want a window-wide accelerator to focus a
particular widget. Its not really in any way related to the tab chain.

> Plus, as I wrote in the other thread, Ctrl+Tab is already used in
> Nautilus - and inconsistently, as well (inconsistent within Nautilus,
> and by a strict reading of that same quoted HIG phrase, inconsistent
> with the HIG too).

Well, if by "used in nautilus" you mean "has the same behaviour in
nautilus as in any other Gtk+ app".