Re: keyboard/focus annoyance after sorting in list view

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 12:13 +0100, John Keller wrote:
Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:23 +0100, John Keller wrote:
Alexander Larsson wrote:
Really? Is this a global switch? How is it decided which elements are
allowed to be focused?
Yes, it's global. Not sure how long it exists (OS X only? And since which version), but I ran into it recently.

It basically turns off keyboard nav (tab/arrow keys) between non-modifiable fields. So e.g. buttons in dialog boxes (Enter and Escape still confirm and cancel, and there are mneumonic-but-not-displayed shortcuts like Command-D for "Don't save changes" in a confirmation dialog or Command-D for "Desktop" in save dialog boxes). I'd have to check, but I believe it's still possible to to toggle with the keyboard between the file list and the spotlight search field on each Finder window.
Interesting. Something like this in gtk+ would perhaps be a better match
for what you want?
Sure, though I don't know how I'd define that. "Text fields and treeviews only"? But then, outside of Nautilus maybe a treeview would be less important for key nav than some other control. Which would bring it back to the app to define, even if there's a global switch.

All editable widgets would probably be a pretty good start. Then add
perhaps the default focused widget in the window.,

I don't know, seems like a usability factors ("what do we need to have") plus accessibility ("what can we do without") question.

Clearly this option is totally non-accessible, its rather to avoid some
of the issues created by a11y. So I'm not sure why you bring it up.

I only brought it up because I didn't know whether suggesting to exactly duplicate Mac behavior was the best. (E.g. maybe there would be concerns that too much was taken out, like perhaps OK/Cancel/etc. buttons should remain in the chain.)

But yes, I realize that it's clearly non-accessible since it pretty much takes everything out of the focus chain that wouldn't otherwise accept text input. ;-)

Currently, Ctrl-Tab seems to be used to jump to/navigate between the toolbar buttons in browser view (in list or icon view); and to/between the sort fields and the little path button in the corner of the folder view (in list view), or to/between the little path button and the main pane's contents (in icon view).

Hmm, internal consistency, anyone? ;-)
The hig says:

Ctrl+Tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab:
Moves keyboard focus out of enclosing widget to next/previous control,
in those situations where Tab alone has another function (e.g.
GtkTextView)

According to the Gtk+ source it moves by default as if Ctrl is not set,
but various widgets override this (like the toolbar).
I meant more the internal consistency of Nautilus. Depending on the combination of browse/folder view and list/icon view, we see three different behaviors. I hadn't noticed these ever before, but thought it was worth mentioning since it seemed germane.

Tab switches between widgets in the tab chain, and we have different tab
chains in list view and icon view. I don't see how that is
"inconsistent":

In list view the only difference between tab and ctrl tab is that if the
tree view is focused ctrl-tab will focus the next non-treeview widget,
while tab will first focus other following (before or after depending on
shift status) internal widgets.
In icon view there are no widgets that special handle "ctrl-tab", so
there is no differences.

In browser view the same behaviour as above affects the views.
Furthermore, ctrl-tab is handled by the toolbar meanin "toggle focus
between the items in the currently focused toolbar".

This is the same behaviour as in any other Gtk+ app with toolbars or
treeviews.

OK. As I said in the other sub-thread, thanks for taking the time to explain. It's understandable when you explain it like that. The docs that I'd looked at (HIG, as referred to here) don't do such a hot job ("x behaves the same as y except for cases where it's different", in essence). It could be that I've overlooked sources, but I don't think I'm the only one in that case and certainly not the only one who wasn't clear on this. Not your fault, which is why I appreciate your taking the time to educate on it.

Also what struck me when checking the above was that in all cases, there's an easy way to jump OUT of the main pane, but no easy way to jump back IN ("jump" as in a single key/key combo consistently gets you to a certain control). But you agree with me there, and that's been taken up in another sub-thread. :-)

There is not particular key that gets you directly to *any* widget. Tab
affects the focus-chain, not particular widgets. This is something
completely different. However, its quite useful to have. And I think its
something many apps may want. I.E. a "focus the document widget"
keybinding.

Exactly, and as I mentioned I'm happy that you like the idea of adding this kind of idea (whether it's at GTK level or app level).

- John