Re: trash/delete prompt

> I agree! When I first started using linux (and nautilus), that was one
> of the first refreshing things I noticed. I could just hit delete, and
> it removed the file from that directory, how novel! And if I want it
> back, that's what the Trash is for.

I had the exact same experience, and it's part of my love for Linux.

I think the absolute worst thing that could happen would be for
Nautilus to strictly start displaying a prompt when you attempt to
delete a file. The most I would do is put an option for it in gconf to
allow admins to set it up for specific users (if it's not there
already). I don't even think that's worth doing, but I also recognize
that it's generally better to allow configuration.

It's true that new users from Konqueror|Finder|Explorer would have a
simpler transition, but it also removes a reason to make that
transition. It also doesn't guarantee that users will never
accidentally trash a file again. As the previously linked presentation
points out, people are so used to disregarding confirmation dialog
content that it's not unreasonable to assume they would do so here,
either.

Furthermore, the ratio of planned trashes to accidental trashes is
huge, which would mean a lot of lost productivity. No offense meant,
but the delete key on most keyboards isn't very easy to accidentally
hit while sober. Even if you accidentally trash something, it's easier
to find an item in the trash than if you (as previously mentioned)
accidentally move it to another folder (which doesn't have a prompt,
either).

It's best to assume that users know what they're doing.

Brian