Desktop icons and right-click menu problem

I was running v 8.04 of Ubuntu. I had desktop icons for Computer, my Home and
Garbage Bin. Right-clicking on the desktop brought up a menu.

I upgraded to v 8.10. Suddenly, none of those things worked anymore.

However, I found that if I opened a terminal, typed nautilus and pressed Enter,
all was back to normal. When I closed nautilus, though, all were gone again.

I can every time I boot up, open a terminal, run nautilus and minimise the
terminal window for the duration of my session, but there must be an easier way
to get things back to the way they were in v 8.04.

I'd be grateful to be told what it is.

Thanks for reading this.

To see papers I've written on, among other things, literary allusions in
Australian reasons for judgment, start here:
http://ssrn.com/author=1164057

To see photos I've taken of, among other things, Sydney, then and now, start here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23623601 N03/sets/72157604225021655/