Re: Licensing for Nautilus extensions

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

> Nautilus Experts:
>
> I have a co-worker who is writing a Nautilus extension.  He was wondering if
> Nautilus extensions must be under a particular license.
> Since nautilus uses the GPL, does this imply that any Nautilus
> extension must also be GPL?  Or can any license be used for a
> Nautilus extension?
>
> I have checked the nautilus module COPYING/COPYING.LIB/README/etc.
> files, and other relevant documentation [1], but I do not see any
> information about this.  Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

A great deal of Nautilus as well as libnautilus-extension (the part
you link to when writing an extension) is under the LGPL. See headers
of any file in the libnautilus-extension directory[1]. [Ordinary
disclaimers here (IANAL, etc).]

-A. Walton

[1]: http://git.gnome.org/cgit/nautilus/tree/libnautilus-extension