Re: Removing 'Backgrounds and Emblems'

Thanks to Allan for the responses, but this comment I don't understand:

> This is a highly  non-standard usage! :) Photo ratings isn't
> functionality that Nautilus should  be providing, IMO.
>
> It sounds like you're using Nautilus like a photo  management tool. There
> are a couple of good apps for that on  GNOME.

Surely the emblem feature is 'agnostic', you're not specifying for what reasons
it may or may not be used.  Some may use it to rate photos, others to organize
spreadsheets... all usage of the feature is valid, no?

Yes, you could say I use Nautilus like a photo management tool.  The reason is
that it is the best such tool available, far far better than any app dedicated
to the purpose.  I think I've tried just about all of them and they all suffer
from the problem that they are not Nautilus.  They offer a small subset of
features I have in Nautilus and a few unnecessary bells and whistles on top.

The comment you've made may have been valid if I had been demanding features
specific to photo management, but I hadn't.  The features I find indispensable
in photo management, such as previews, emblems, sorting, launching of scripts,
these are all generic features that apply to many types of files and types of
usage.

Charlie