Re: Detection of trash in trash folder

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 15:37 -0800, Scott Baker wrote:
> I have a file system that I'm developer for that is experiencing some
> issues with the .Trash folder. Namely, when trash is deleted (for
> example by dragging a file from nautilus to the trash bin), the trash
> bin icon and the trash bin folder are not updated and the file does
> not appear. Looking at the directory on disk, the trash is definitely
> in there (nautilus puts it in ~/.Trash-root/ at the mountpoint of the
> file system) -- it's just that nautilus seems unaware of the new trash
> folder.
>
> I've tried browsing the nautilus source code, but I am unable to
> figure out how this monitoring works. Can someone point me to the code
> that is responsbile for recognizing when new trash folders are created
> and/or when trash folders are modified? In particular, what mechanism
> does nautilus use to monitor changes in folders? is it using something
> like inotify/dnotify or is it polling to check for changes, or using
> some other service?

This happens in the gvfs trash backend. It uses the gio abstraction for
file notification, which can use for instance inotify or fam.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's an all-American white trash ex-con on his last day in the job. She's a
violent nymphomaniac queen of the dead living homeless in New York's sewers.
They fight crime!