Re: Removing 'Backgrounds and Emblems'

On 27 July 2010 12:10, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 12:55 +0200, John Keller wrote:
>
>> Removing emblems is a little unfortunate for me personally because I
>> used them as a fast way to customize folders in my home with nicely
>> drawn artwork. But I can understand the reasons why, and they really are
>> much more appropriate as part of a larger vision of metadata and
>> keywords, as you mention.
>
> Yeah, as you say there's still the option of using a custom icon
> altogether for that purpose...we could also eventually implement
> something like colored labels, as Finder does.

I never used emblems except for testing the feature itself, but this is
very personal and much related to how we use nautilus.
Still coloured lables would be great.
Probably much less resource consuming than the emblems and it
look nice and tidy.

>> Is there any plan to make the custom icon option more user-discoverable?
>> Right now, you need to know that you can click the icon in the
>> properties dialog box. Not bad if you click everywhere or read the help,
>> but otherwise...
>
> Ideas are welcome on how to make that more prominent in the UI; maybe a
> tooltip over the icon in the properties view? Or a label beneath it?

Why not overlay some icon that expresses the idea that it can be changed.
Some other elements use the highlight when we hover over the image to denote it
can be changed but I personally think a overlay icon (plus sign,
search symbol, ...)
are much more easy to define that option as it won't rely on the user
getting close to the
element.

Cheers,
Nando