Re: UI Roadmap: TaskView Intergration

Hi Salomon!

[snip]
> I have another idea for the nautilus UI improvements list.

Thanks for the suggestion!

[snip]
> For my proposal I created a little mockup page and maybe you are
> interested in the idea of contextual progress information. Illustrated
> here [2].
>
> So what do you think?

Looks like an interesting project.

A few thoughts:

As far as I can tell, Nautilus doesn't indicate if files are being
downloaded. There's an obvious usability problem there. Things break if
a user tries to open the file while it is being downloaded. We need to
indicate if a file is currently being downloaded and do something
appropriate if the user tries to open it before it is ready (switch to
the progress dialog, perhaps?).

We should also be indicating the status of files that are the subject of
copying and moving operations, and these indicators should be consistent
across icon, compact and list views.

There probably isn't enough space to display progress on top of or
alongside items in icon/compact/list view, but this information could be
incorporated into the status bar and/or tooltips. We are going to be
looking at the design of the status bar as a part of the UI Roadmap
exercise.

As for indicating the downloading/copying/moving status of the file
itself, you could use an emblem or a throbber, or you could just make
the icon semi-transparent.

Allan
--
Jabber: allanpday AT gmail.com