Re: The Future of Nautilus: Show the filesystem

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 13:47 +0200, John Keller wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 01:15 PM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 11:34 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> >> You might ask if there is any real benefit to this change. The benefit,
> >> I think, is that it removes a technical-looking and - for most users (we
> >> could argue about this) - never used part of the UI. The result is an
> >> interface which is a tiny bit thinner, but more importantly, is
> >> friendlier and optimised for the vast majority of users. (It is worth
> >> pointing out that Finder doesn't have access to the File System or an
> >> equivalent.)
> >
> > OSX finder does show the filesystem, but its not called that. Its called
> > "Macintosh HD", "<name of computer>" or similar things. However, by
> > default they do hide "unix stuff" (like /usr, /bin, etc) in the
> > filesystem by placing .hidden files in the root.
>
> Just about what I was about to reply. :-)
>
> Finder menu > Go > Computer (keyboard shortcut: Shift-Command-C)
>
> OS X calls the root "Computer", which isn't too bad (though I don't mean
> to propose it for GNOME, in light of historical use of that name). I use
> it pretty regularly.
>
> What's nice on OS X is that the "Go" menu keeps all entries, but Finder
> allows the sidebar to have items shown/hidden (e.g. mounted disks or the
> user's Documents folder, etc). So even if I've hidden it from the
> sidebar, it's in a discoverable location - the preference isn't to get
> rid of it completely, but to unclutter what I see all the time.
> Something to consider for GNOME?

Yes, this is very much the kind of solution I want. It doesn't have to
be everywhere and in your face. But it should be possible for every user
in the default setup (without changing preferences so that the UI
changes) somewhere. Not necessarily in the default sidebar, but
*somewhere*, such that e.g. a standard text on a wiki can describe how
to use it to navigate somewhere.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a scarfaced crooked vampire hunter haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
transdimensional winged hooker with the power to see death. They fight crime!