Re: Issues pre-generating thumbnails for Nautilus.

On 10/27/2010 02:20 PM, Paxsali Akler wrote:
Hello everybody,

recently I've been working on a set of scripts for pre-generating
thumbnails of video and picture files in a set of given directories. The
idea is to be able to run thumbnail-generation in the background, per
cron, per cmdline, not-in-X, not-using-nautilus, etc.

Now I've created a whole batch of thumbnails with my scripts, however my
problem is that nautilus is still recreating every single media file
when I change to it's directory. I notice this because obviously it
takes some time to display the thumbnails and also the mtime of the
thumbnail is updated when re-/overwritten.

Well, Nautilus and gThumb certainly share thumbnails (I just checked), so it should work for you.

There is no additional thumbnail info stored outside of ~/.thumbnails.

I would run exiftool against one of your thumbnails, and compare the results to those of Nautilus's thumbnails. Compare the thumbnail size, image type (RGB, 8 bit), mtime, exact URI encoding, and permissions.

- Mike