Re: Invisible files starting with two dots

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Andreas Heinlein <aheinlein gmx com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> today I accidentally created a file starting with two dots, i.e.
> "..foobar". I could not see it in Nautilus even when "Show hidden files"
> was on. I could see it in the output of "ls -a", however.

What nautilus version/distribution are you using? I am unable to
reproduce here with both 2.30.1 and 2.91.9, using a file named
"..twice-hidden".

> Is this a bug or a feature? I consider it somewhat harmful since it
> would allow hiding files at least from the average user who does not use
> the command line.

This is definitely a bug, and you can report on bugzilla if it still
happens after, e.g., upgrading to the latest nautilus version.

----
Stefano