Re: compact view removed from Nautilus

Hey Stefano,

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 12:39 +0200, Stefano Teso wrote:

> > Nautilus needs to evolve to keep up with the rest of GNOME, and having
> > both an elegant and simple design and someone writing the code to
> > implement it (in this case, the same person!) is great. I understand it
>
> I couldn't agree more.
>
> > might be upsetting to lose a pet feature, but other different features
> > will come back: it's still under development.
>
> I understand that. However: what are the new features? Any chance they will be
> discussed publicly before being landed? You get the point. :-)
>
> Personally, I don't see how the renewed icon and list views will be able to
> cover the same not-so-niche use cases that currently compact view is better
> for; nobody cared to explain so far.

In my experience, the process of design and user interfaces is fluid and
rarely set in stone. Some of you brought interesting considerations and
comments on this specific use-case, and I am sure Jon and Allan will
keep them in mind for future developments.

At this moment (and I think all the cleanups in Nautilus point to this
direction too) I'm more interested in getting the majority of common
functionality streamlined, polished, and working correctly than losing a
feature.

[cut]
> First, your argument is not in favor of _dropping_ the compact view. Hide it
> well enough and people who don't need it won't be bothered by it. It's less
> work to do, too.

I don't think that sweeping stuff under the rug is better than properly
cleaning up...hiding it also doesn't give me any benefit as I would
still need to maintain that code.

> I like what you GNOME devs and designers are doing, and I know you all mean
> well. It should be clear at this point though that there's a problem with the
> process... I'm personally ambivalent about the whole thing: I feel indebted
> with GNOME as you're giving me a great product for free, AND I'm frankly
> baffled by the fact that some decisions are taken almost behind closed doors.
>
> (One last thing that surprises me: you and Allan have been replying to the
> thread so far; no sign of Jon though. I wonder why. No offense intended.)

Point taken...but let me just add that I think there's a difference
between "taking a decision behind closed doors" and taking a decision
because a number of interested parties thought it was a good thing - at
the end of the day everything we do is open and in the public.

Bye,
Cosimo