Re: How to remove menu items (where has /usr/share/nautilus/ui gone) ?

On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 11:43 +0100, garethl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> hope somebody can help with how to remove items (from the main nautilus
> toolbar, sub menuitems, and also from context menus)?
>
> I am running Nautilus 3.4.1 on Ubuntu 12.04
>
> I have seen this done (with older versions of Nautilus) by modifying
> various files in the /usr/share/nautilus/ui directory. My 3.4.1 install
> doesn't have this directory. Also, I have tried creating this directory
> and placing some appropriate xml file there - but with no effect.
>
> Is it still possible to achieve this runtime functionality with newer
> versions, or do I now need to rebuild Nautilus using modified
> configuration files?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Gareth,

UI/GtkBuilder files were never really meant to be hand edited by users;
Nautilus expects to fetch some widgets from there and crashes or error
conditions might happen if the expected data is not found.
Having said that, Nautilus 3.4 started using GResource [1], so all that
runtime data is now compiled into a binary bundle, which is linked into
the executable.

If you want to build a custom Nautilus with some modifications in such
data, I recommend you treat the operation in the same way you would
treat a patch to the source code, i.e. you should maintain a patched
package build or something similar.

Cosimo

[1]
http://developer.gnome.org/gio/2.32/gio-GResource.html#gio-GResource.description