Re: Auto-refresh

Op 19-09-12 11:59, Alexander Larsson schreef:
> On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 16:51 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hallo,
>>
>> Normally, when something changes on disk, I see this directly or very
>> fast in Nautilus (2.30.1) when it's open.
>> E.g. when I change something using the commandline.
>>
>> But I am working now on a NFS-share, and when somebody else changes
>> something, I don't see that in Nautilus. I have to click on the
>> "refresh" button first.
>>
>> I am interested if there is a better way to do some kind of "auto-refresh".
>
> To get this working you need file change notification. NFS unfortunately
> does not support this (except for locally made changes).

Does Samba support this?

> A long time ago
> you could run the fam deamon on the nfs server and the fam library for
> change notification would talk to the daemon, but thats not really
> maintained or used much these days, so is unlikely to work.

Thanks for this hint. I see fam is in Debian, and looks-like to be OK.
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fam
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/f/fam/current/changelog

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl