Open With

Why has it been made impossible to use the Open With command with an arbitrary program? Windows allows users to select a program by path, and I understand that nautilus until recently did too. This is an irritating regression, and I don't quite understand the reason behind it. Were you trying to make the system somehow easier to use? Editing or creating .desktop files by hand is hardly user-friendly.
Could a "Browse for program" button be added again?
George Bateman