Re: "Wireless disabled in software"

Jirka Klimes wrote:

> /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state state is not meant to be
> changed by users directly.
> It's used internally by NM to store user configuration of wireless
> enable/disable state, so that it is persistant. I.e. when user right-click
> nm- applet and unchecks "Enable wireless" and then reboots, wireless
> should stay disabled.

In my case, WiFi was enabled ("iwlist scan" saw my AP),
but /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
said NetworkingEnabled=false

>> Also, could NM please stop saying "reason: 2";
>> if the reason is know why not tell us what it is!!
>
> The reason codes are mainly meant for debugging and can be found at

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/include/NetworkManager.h?id=e30287aa84c30454b97f630d86029cdd68086ead#n276

I take it you mean debugging by developers.
Please remember, there are a few users as well!

Personally, I only read a syslog if something has gone wrong,
or is not working as expected.
So I'm grateful for error or warning messages that give me a hint.

I'm afraid NM gives me far too much information -
on a normal day nearly half my /var/log/messages
is taken up with messages from NM,
the vast majority of which are no use to me -
basically, if everything has gone as expected
I don't feel I need to know.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net