Re: [orca-list] Pulseaudio and speech-dispatcher/gnome-speech in Ubuntu.

am Mi 16. Apr 2008 um 14:36:39 schrieb Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com>:
[...]
The way I see things currently, given that my upload is allowed, is
this. The system is installed with gnome-speech. The user wishes to
switch to speech-dispatcher, so they install it.
Wishes to switch? You seem to be speaking from the point of view of
Orca, but what about BrlTTY, Speakup, speechd-el, Yasr? They can't work
with gnome-speech.

No of course they can't, but I am thinking of what is most commonly used. I haven't heard of users using
yasr/speechd-el on Ubuntu, and if there are, and they think things could have been done better, it would
have been nice to hear from them to set things right. Same with speakup, and for people who may have
rebuilt BrlTTY.

Besides Ubuntu, that runs on my laptop, I use GRML on my desktop machine.
In
GRML brltty also comes without SD support. But It can be easily set up, by
building the latest brltty from the source, and you've no difficaulties
linking it to SD. So why not in Ubuntu? One of the most important
differences to propriatary operating systems is, that Linux leaves it up
to the user how he/she sets up the system. So why asking for permission
whether we are allowed to set up Ubuntu for our needs?
A lot of users use the text console besides the GUI - or they use it
mainly.
And BTW: It was not the user's decission to take away speakup.
Hermann

p.S.: I keep on asking my questions and make my comments, and I give a ...
whether a particular person appriciates it or not. So mind your own damned
business!

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)