Re: [orca-list] Problem with setup on Fedora 9

Hi,

Lars Bjørndal writes:
Hi!

As you and Janina suggested, it gave me better luck by installing
orca-2.24.1. I also had to install at-spi and at-spi-python. However,
I have some issues:

- orca -t or --text or --help from the command line gives the
  following:

[python code removed]
Yes, this has been broken for some time.

One comment, you probably want to run as your ordinary user, and not
root.

- I've uninstalled pulseaudio, and configured GNOME to use ALSA,
  wherever possible. However, the login sound doesn't play.

I've seen progress on this recently. However my results are still mixed.

Check that you have gdm-2.22.0-10.fc9 or better.

Nowadays, when I first boot, my GDM actually talks using Festival. I
have speech to select a user, or to type in my username, plus suitable
"asterisk" echoes as I type my password. Quaintly, Festival says
"good-bye" as GDM hands off to GNOME.

I also get the default GDM startup sound following my login.

However, if I ever restart X by issuing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, none of the
above occurs. Similarly, if I restart the GUI runlevel by doing first
'telinit 3' followed by 'telinit 5' it still doesn't work. It only works
on initial boot.

I suppose I should report this on the GDM list.

- I installed everything that's sounds like esd / esound, but esdplay
  file.wav doesn't work. Shouldn't it? No error messages. What can I
  do to fix it?

I avoid anything but aplay, mplayer, or ecasound, personally. I also use
Totem.

Lars, I don't know how many audio devices you use. If you have more than
one, you should create /etc/modprobe.conf and specify them as you wish.
Else, you're at the mercy of which firmware loads first to define which
is hw:0, and which hw:1, etc. This is not helpful for the speech user.

- Even if I started speech-dispatcer prior to log in into GNOME, Orca
  can only select GNOME speech espeak. How cound that be fixed?

Haven't worked with speech-dispatcher recently, I'm afraid. I use
gnome-speech plus the Speakup TTSynth driver in the console.

- It seems to me that every time the screen saver kicks in, Orca
  crashes. How could I solve that?

Default is to prompt for password. Have you tried entering your password
and pressing enter? Orca should return. If you're not aware of this
behavior, it can seem that Orca has crashed. However, I've not seen
crashes because of the screensaver.

Janina

Thank you!

Lars

Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM> writes:

Hi Lars:

I'm not exactly sure why these problems exist on Fedora.  However, I
do notice it looks like you're using Orca and/or GNOME from 2.22.  A
lot of important changes were made in the GNOME 2.24 release, so it
would be great if you could update to that.

Will