[orca-list] Update Manager Error

Hello,

I've recently figured out how to get my error I'm having in getting
packages coppied correctly (Actually, I've figured out evolution.
First email on Linux.  Go me!).

Anyway, When I run any apt-get command, for example:
sudo apt-get update

It will tell me it's getting the packages, and then it'll put a rench
in my hopes and dreams for life, by telling me:
encountered a section with no package lists
problem with merge list /var/lib/dpkg/status
The package lists or status file could not be parced or opened

Help would be greatly opriated?  I've tried to google the error but
get how to upgrade, which si what I'm trying to do, and no menchen of
that whatsoever.  Either that or I get errors about dependencies,
whcih I'll probably break too!

Thanks so much for any help I can get,

Tj