[orca-list] Logging out of Gnome shell 3.4

I've just upgraded to the Debian package of Gnome-shell 3.4.1. (It's in Debian
experimental at the moment for the benefit of the Debian users on the list).

It's certainly much more accessible than Gnome-shell 3.2 was, as is widely
known. Thanks to all involved for making the improvements.

Here's my problem: I start an X session with startx from a console. At the end
of my X session I want to log out. I've found the "logout..." menu item in the
top bar of the activities overview. When I press enter on that option, I don't
get any feedback from Orca at all. If I wait long enough, I am eventually
logged out.

So there are two issues here, the fact that there's probably material on
screen that Orca isn't presenting, and how to get rid of the delay - when I
select logout, I want to be logged out straight away with no need for
confirmation and no waiting around.