Re: [orca-list] trying to use Orca full-time, have some questions

Krishnakant Mane <krmane gmail com> wrote:

And I have been using Ubuntu with Unity 2d for more than 18 months.
what I have liked about the said desktop is it's side pain (they
call it launcher) and the heads up display feature.
I liked the fact that I can add or remove any applications in the launcher.
and I liked the super + numbers option to open any software in the launcher.
Now in comparison to all these features, can you tell me how
comfortable i can be with Gnome shell 3.10?
For example with Unity, I get to the list of favorite applications
by just pressing alt + f1.

Alt-F1 will take you to the activities overview in GNOME, from which you can
use alt-ctrl-tab to move to the dash, i.e., your personal list of
applications.
I have home, Firefox, Libre office Writer ... even Orca for that
matter on 7th position.
So i boot my machine and then after login just press super + 7 to
start orca.

You should be able to have Orca start automatically during boot.
I also see that I can access any other application from the dash bar.
Now tell me is there some similar things in Gnome shell 3.10 or some
thing even better?

I suppose there's alt-f2 to run a command. What I generally do is configure
GNOME to start Gnome-terminal automatically, then I switch to the terminal
with alt-tab and type a command to run the application I want (with command
line options for the firefox URL, the filename or whatever is needed). I get
tab completion in the shell, of course, which makes it faster.

The run command dialogue accessed with alt-F2 from GNOME-Shell also has some
tab completion, but, on my system, it's very slow to complete command/file
names.
What about the top panel where we get wifi icon, battry icon, volume etc?

I think that's covered by GNOME 3.10. Various bugs were fixed and reported on
the list in earlier versions - if you've been following the discussions on
this list you should have a good overview of what's happening. I'm still stuck
on GNOME 3.8 so I can't comment yet in detail.