Re: [orca-list] is cinnamon accessible?

Threaten was an analogy; if the system doesn't start talking soon maybe it won't be installed at all. The way I got to use assistive technology checkbox was through a graphical interface in the root account in mate. I don't know of any gsettings equivalent command to do that with command line through sudo. As for ubuntu ubiquity, I haven't tried to run that yet so I know as much as you do about that by now unless you tried to run it ahead of me.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016, B. Henry wrote:

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 20:42:19
From: B. Henry <burt1iband gmail com>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel panix com>, orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] is cinnamon accessible?

I am a bit confused by a couple things you write.
First, what do you mean by threaten in the context of a computer interface in general, and especially here
talking about some part of the installation
process?
Also I am not sure if I understand what you mean with:

The system has a ubiquity slide show so maybe
using ubiquity rather than orca gets a better install experience.  I'll have
to try that next.

Ubiquity is not a screenreader, and as far as I know had never had any kind of direct TTS support or option
of any kind.
Are you saying that it can run a text mode installer that could use speakup or another CLI screenreader?

A root account is not created for you; probably best
to do that post-install.

Is a root account required for anything that most users will need or want to do, or can one do most admin
tasks using sudo, e.g. install and update
software, edit systemwide configurastion files, so forth and so  on?
Isn't sudo included by default with Mint and is it not configured out of the box to let the user who installs
the OS use sudo for all administrative tasks
such as Ubuntu, Manjaro, etc?

Assuming one does indeed get a standard sudo configuration of one kind of another then unless he or she must
work with one of the programs that requires
something other than sudo or sudo su, i.e. an actual root login, the user is generaly better off not creating
a root password. Sudo can let them restrict
or completely block other users from accessing sensitive files and or using potentially dangerous
applications.
This is of course user preference to a point, and the freedom to choose things like this is part of the
beautiful power and flexability of our now 25 year
old Linux!
Happy B-day Linux, and congrats Linus, not bad for a little school project, eh?
Thanks for your post, Jude, and thanks in advance for any clarification.