Re: [Planner Dev] WorkBench ideas...

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 16:53 +0200, Pierre-Andre Galmes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you need new ideas for functionnalities to add to planner, have a
> look at this page :
>
> http://www.openworkbench.org/index.php
>
> The company Niku Corporation has freed the sources of their software
> Workbench. This software is a "planner like" which has been used in
> industries for some years and the functionnlities which have been
> implemented are numerous.
>
> You can download for free that software that works under Windows, you
> just need to register.
>
> One of the feature especially useful is the PERT diagram representation.

Absolutely! In fact, you beat me to the punch on this.

Planner, in my opinion, has a better front-end than OpenWorkbench, but
as long as the Niku Clarity APIs are exposed, it would be an awesome
combination to have Planner be a front-end for Linux workstations to
Niku's Clarity platform. This would be something that a) should be
important enough for Niku (and maybe IBM - Niku is their standard
Project Management platform) to assist with Planner development and b)
scare The Redmonians with a competitive alternative to Project Server
with Linux and OSX desktops. I believe Clarity already runs on
Commercial Unix back-ends with Oracle or (possibly) DB2. It uses BEA
Weblogic or IBM Websphere at the application server level. Clarity
itself is all J2EE based with HTML/XML driven front-ends, except for
OpenWorkbench, which is still a Windows application.

I know Project Server inside and out and Niku is definitely working to
compete with them and Primavera. If Niku's Clarity product is what it is
advertised to be, there's real potential here if Planner can talk to it.
You guys should really talk...

Cheers,

Chris Williams

--