Re: GNOME Python Hackfest

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu tomeuvizoso net> wrote:
> Well, maybe there are hacks in your app you would like to drop? Or
> some API you cannot use comfortably yet? Or you just want to make
> other application authors happy? :)

There certainly are a lot of syntacitcal things I'd like to see made
more pythonic, but I'm afraid most of them might require API changes
and may be beyond the scope of a language binding.

One example that comes to mind is that I'd really like to see
GtkTreeIters become more useful. Like, instead of writing this:

liststore.set_value(iter, column, data)

I'd like to see this instead:

iter.set_value(column, data)

or, better still:

iter[column] = data

But I don't know if that's even possible. I mean, I know about
__getitem__ and __setitem__ instance methods, but I don't know if it's
possible to simply *imply* which TreeModel is meant using only the
TreeIter. Do TreeIters know what TreeModel they come from?

--
http://exolucere.ca