Re: GNOME and GStreamer

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 16:47 +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:

> GStreamer 0.8 was out for 2-3 years with a stable API/ABI, you make it
> sound like we are updating our API's every second week. Remember that
> GStreamer is not in the platform, only in the desktop currently. Our
> experiences with this release series will determine if we can go for a
> 1.0.

I haven't written an app that uses the GStreamer API, but at least
within Novell we have had a lot of trouble with each minor release of
GStreamer.  Plug-ins change, apps break, and we must figure that out and
update them [this may also have to do with the fact that the Suse side
rearranged the plug-in packages several times over the past few
years...].  I don't know if this is "just bugs" in the plug-ins or
something, or genuine core breakage.

> The API documentation is 100% for the main GStreamer module (something
> which it never was in 0.8). There are some helper stuff in
> gnome-plugins-base which is not fully documented yet, but the coverage
> is better than the same stuff was in 0.8.

That's great to know!  So you are one of the very few modules with full
API coverage :)

  Federico