Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox interface

gtgtOn Fri, 2002-11-22 at 19:03, MArk Finlay wrote:

> > I kinda like the current design. Here's a few notes about it.
>

> This e-mail got me thinking, and i realised that i hadn't really
> bothered to try out groups extensively. So , in a semi-comatose state i
> decided to make a playlist, and it was remarkably easy. And once I had a
> playlist make it was actually really great to be able to go to another
> view. I could focus on my playlist and not be distracted by the ui for
> the library.
>
> So I started thinking: what do groups need?
>
> * maybe /s/Group/Playlist /s/Groups/Playlists

Yes, probably. Since they should be reorderable.

> * Make groups re-orderable
> * Save groups while program is running - either after each change or at
> reqular intervals if anything has changed

Yeah, technical detail ;)

> Other than that groups are a really good way to make playlists - drag
> and drop takes a bit of getting used to. But as rhythmbox is now it is a
> LOT better than winamp and mmjb and "the other other media player".
>

> And how can we "play a song after the current one"?
> * Add Toolbar Button: "Queue"
> * Add 'Music->Clear Queue' menu item
> * Add context-menu items:
> 	 Play
> 	----Sepporator----
> 	Add to Queue
> 	[Remove from Queue]
> 	----Sepporator----
> * Add a way to view the queue, posibilities:
> 	- A seporate window
> 	- A box integrated into the library view
> 	- A meta-group on the sidebar (this is my favourite and i've 					been
> suggesting it for weeks ;) )
> 	- Use the leftmost column in the song view to indicate a songs
> 	position in the queue and to toggle it's inclusion in the queue.

Yes, some of these things should certainly be done in one way or
another.

> Other notes
>
> - only one item on the menu changes when switching from hte library to a
> group - to me this is ok

3 ;) And it will probably grow once more features are added. It's not as
extreme as evolution (yet), luckily.

> - oliver wants to add a browser to groups - this would make groups even
> more powerfull as it would be possible to make groups that are large
> subsets of the library - i'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad
> thing. at least it should definatly be off by default.

I'm actually not sure this is good either; playlists are fixed sets,
filtering them doesnt really make sense.

> - we already have a sepporate audiocd player - it would be much better
> to have this functionality integrated into rhythmbox
> - a sepporate iradio application would be really sucky :(

Well I agree it would probably be better to have these integrated; but I
wont sacrifice UI clarity for it if it can't be done in a good way.

> - ripping should NOT be dont through nautilus - ripping and burning
> integrated into file managers is simply wrong - you need a different
> interface for ripping and burning than you do for file management.

Well maybe you are right here; like someone else said users see audiocds
as music, not as files. This is probably very true. So we need a way to
import audiocds into rb.

Cheers
Jorn