RE: [Rhythmbox-devel] Musicbrainz and RB

Here's my musicbrainz in 30 seconds schpeel.

Basically the there is some acoustic fingerprinting done and then that
fingerprint is sent to a proprietary TRM generator which was donated by
Relatable. A TRM is generated from that fingerprint and sent back to who
ever requested it. Here's the tricky part. The TRM is not unique to a
specific recording or a specific song. Different versions of the same
song (Bite rate, compression technique, encoding technique) will yield
different TRMs, and different recordings might end up with the same TRM.
For example, an mp3 at 128 kbps of God Save the Queen might have the
same TRM as an OGG of Country Boy Can Survive.
http://www.musicbrainz.org/stats.html has data on how often collisions
and things happen.

So, in the windows tagger for musicbrainz, after the TRM is generated,
there is some comparison done with song length and then meta data to try
and determine the correct song. A confidence rating is determined in the
guess and reported to the user. The user then has the final decision on
the correctness of the guess.

If you have a windows partition, I recommend trying out the tagger to
see for yourself how it works. I am a big musicbrainz fan and I think it
would be great to add musicbrainz support to RB. In fact that's the
entire reason I'm on this list and why I've checked out the RB source
and started playing around with it.

I believe RB should have support for identifying and then retagging
files based on the MB identification but I don't think it should be
automatic; the user definitely needs to agree the identification is
correct. After that it would be great to have a meta data moderation
interface built into RB, similar to the way the windows tagger does this
now.

Eventually I think it would be interesting to use musicbrainz as a
source for meta data to allow for richer searching / discovery about
your own music collection. For instance I'm listening to The Sex Pistols
and I want to know how many of the Sex Pistols CDs are in my collection.
Or I could generate a list of songs that the Sex Pistols recorded but I
don't own.

Anyway, my current plan is to try my hand at some small patches (bug
fixes or small features) until I am comfortable enough with the code
base to propose how Musicbrainz integration could be done in more
detail.

Kyle Boon