Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] monkey-media future

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 20:59, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 13:14, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 17:52, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if anyone else out there besides us actually uses
> > > monkey-media?  If not, I am thinking about sucking it into the rhythmbox
> > > tree (again :)).  It's just easier on people to have one tarball to
> > > download, and less maintenance overhead for me.  Plus, we do want
> > > monkey-media to go away eventually once GStreamer gets the required
> > > features.
> > >
> > > I'm not going to do this right away, but if there are no objections or
> > > whatever it'll probably happen next week sometime.
> >
> > Nobody uses it apart from us. The only really interesting thing in
> > monkey-media is the metadata reader/writer.
>
> Yeah.
>
> > I actually wanted to use the BaconVideoWidget (or the planned
> > BaconVideoObject) inside Rhythmbox, probably having Rhythmbox depend on
> > libbacon. That would allow both Totem-gst and Rhythmbox to actually grow
> > and make a widget that would be usable by the wider range of developers.
>
> This is for visualization, right?  Or does BaconVideoObject do playback
> of music too?

The VideoObject doesn't use or need X and has a "none" video out plugin.
It's useful for the thumbnailer, the properties tab in nautilus, and
music playback, ie. no visualisation but you can still capture video.

The VideoWidget would have visualisation, just like the current one. I
plan to split the current code fairly soon, and merge it in libbacon for
it to be a proper multimedia library.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>