Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Proposal for first-generation Musicbrainzintegration

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 16:33, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 02:28, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:58, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> > > I don't think it would take major change or major effort to have
> > > extremely useful first-generation support for Musicbrainz.  Here is my
> > > proposal:
> > >
> > > 1. allow tag editing in the song properties window.  This can't be too
> > > difficult:
> > >     - the UI already supports it since the text boxes look editable
> > >     - the backend streaminfo API is already there:
> > >         (monkey_media_stream_info_set_value())
> > > How hard it is to connect the two?
> >
> > AFAIR, they're already connected. You just need to implement the set
> > functions in monkey-media.
> >
> > The main problem with the tag editing in monkey-media is that the
> > gnome-vfs semantics are uber-broken, and you can't open a existing file
> > without truncating it. Suckiness.
>
> You mean "you can't open an existing file *for writing* without
> truncating it?"  That's so broken I can hardly fathom.
>
> >  I lost half my MP3s last year when I
> > tried that. Then again it should be dead easy to add for local files
> > only.
>
> That would cover the most common case, so if gnome-vfs is really that
> broken then I think it's a reasonable course of action.

Carlos posted a way to do it, but I think that most of the gnome-vfs
methods would be broken wrt. random opening (at least the methods I
wrote...). That's why I want to write a test case so that we know
whether it is broken or not for sure.

> > > 2. In the properties dialog, add a button called something like "Ask
> > > Musicbrainz" that queries the server and fills in whatever values it
> > > finds.
> >
> > That's the complicated bit.
>
> Why?  Is the difficult bit getting raw data from gstreamer or querying
> MusicBrainz?  If it's the latter, then I disagree -- I implemented a
> client to look up artist/album/title/tracknumber for FLAC files in 170
> lines of C++.

I meant integrating it in a decent UI.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had
also never met.