[Rhythmbox-devel] MIME types

Pardon me if I am barking up the wrong tree but I just tried
to load an MP3 from one of my kids and Rhythmbox tells me:

  The following files couldn't be loaded:
  Unsupported MIME type audio/x-wav file:///....

I first got the file it had a .wav suffix and
it took me a minute to realize that it was MP3 at which point
I renamed it with an .mp3 suffix.

The file is definitely an MP3 and will play both with xmms and
with mpg123.  Something tells me that this is a magicfile issue
because when feed it to the 'file' command I get:

  foo.mp3: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio

while some of the files Rhythmbox likes are reported:

  bar.mp3: MP3, 128 kBits, 44.1 kHz, Stereo

Incidentally, when I play foo.mp3 with mpg123 it says:

  MPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo

and proceeds to play it without difficulty.

So, is my setup, the file, or Rhythmbox which is broken.

Thanks for any tips.

   Gisli