Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox roadmap - smart playlists

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 05:44  pm, mmarquee@btopenworld.com
wrote:
> i.e. Would I really want
>
> (Year = 1976, Genre = "Funk") or (Year = 1999, Genre = "Peruvian Flute
> Music")

That is exactly the kind of thing that sub-playlists would be ideal for
i.e. two, or more, totally unconnected subgroupings together and also
certainly a power-user feature.

> I might want
>
> (Year = 1990, Genre = "Alternative" or Genre = "Altern Rock")

This is a trick/hack I picked up from using iTunes but:

Year 'is' 1990 and  Genre 'contains' (or 'starts with') "Altern"

Kind of ugly I know, but in my defence I'll point out the lexical
similarity of many related genres (e.g. soft, hard & blues rock etc.)
and artist/bands (e.g. Diana Ross, solo or with the Supremes, or
various duet partners).

More interestingly, could there be some kind of analysis that can be
done so that obviously conflicting requests (two different genres,
artists or years) are automatically OR'd rather than returning 0 songs.
In your example there can be nothing that is both genres so if you
specified "genre:alternative", "genre:altern rock", "year:1990" and
asked it to match ANY criteria you would get both genres plus
everything from 1990. If you asked it to match ALL criteria you would
get nothing, which is obviously an absurd request. This system breaks
down if you're trying to achieve something like your first query, but
I'm not sure how common that will be (and would support sub-queries
just for clarity alone).

I must say it intrigues me that even after being familiar with Boolean
logic for over a decade "1990 & Jazz & Funk" still makes far more sense
to me as "(Jazz + Funk) from 1990" than it does as an empty set. I only
just came up with this idea but I can't see any major problems with it.
However, I'm sure they will become apparent as soon as I hit send.

Let me know if you spot any,

cheers,

dave