Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Unwanted initial delay

Long-shot or not, the library reload was easily tested and I think I
learned something in the process.  My library lives on a server in my
house but I do my listening on a laptop  connected via a low-speed
wireless network. Re-loading the library from the server take a *long*
time, so I figured I would load only a handful of files I have local to
the laptop.  I found that when playing these files I didn't experience
the delay.

Is it possible that gstreamer-0.8 processes the entire .ogg file before
starting to play?  If so, that would explain it because sucking a 5Mb
file over the wireless network might take the few seconds I talked
about before.  This  definitely was *not* happening in pre 0.8 versions
of Rhythmbox.  Might there be a gstreamer setting to stream the file
rather than grabbing the whole thing first.

I loaded the library and the delay is still there.

 Gisli

PS: When I proceeded to load the server library I ran into an annoying
quirk of the File dialog box which handles the Import Folder
operation.   My library is in an automounted directory and but how the
heck do I trigger the mount from the File dbox when all I can do is
click stuff?  I had to start a terminal and list the directory to mount
it before it showed up in the File dbox.

Could I have typed something into the Add Location panel?  file://...
or something?