Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Helping with ipod support

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:29:09PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > such that Rhythmbox can read these which gives extra information,
> > basically allowing you to transcode your ogg content to your mp3-only
> > player [1] as I wrote about earlier on this mailing list.
>
> You'd need to write your own source list to handle those.

Right, again, I'm not familiar with the code, so consider me just whining :-)

> > [1] : OK, you'll lose some quality, but if one is really concerned
> > about quality (personally I can't tell the difference, but I may just
> > be imparaired :-), one will have his collection of music in a format
> > that matches one's portable audio player. And with transcoding, "It
> > just works" which I think is in line with the GNOME desktop :-)
>
> I would still make that an option.

Agreed, there should be a HIGGY warning about loss of quality

> > [2] : Oh, and gnome-vfs gives you a nice logo for your portable music
> > player (if HAL has tagged the device as one), but that is, so far,
> > just eyecandy :-).
>
> Rhythmbox doesn't do the automounting, even with the HAL code, it's not
> its job... We only use HAL to tell us if it's mounted, and where it's
> mounted.

Oh, I see, well I still haven't looked at the code. Tell me, why is it
that Rhythmbox shouldn't mount the volume if the user wants to use it?

Note, that this is not exactly automounting, it's mount-on-demand, not
much different from mounting the drive from computer:///, and it makes
sense to me, given that one specific goal is to be able to run GNOME
and the Utopia stack without automounting and autodetection of media
(polling) on the grounds that it may cause system instability. See
GNOME bug 143888 for details.

To me, it just seems strange that the user needs to go to computer:///
and mount the volume from there before going to Rhythmbox. Lots of
users wouldn't be able to figure that out. Anyway, just my two danish
kroner :-)

Cheers,
David