Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Helping with ipod support

> IOW, what I think that HAL should export in .fdi files should be the
> richest set of information that you can key off vendorId and productId.
> Which I hope can be expressed as simple as a list of MIME types [1].

> [1] : though I've had a hard time figuring out the MIME types for mp3
> and wma, any hints?

Mime types just suck for media stuff... mp3 is audio/mpeg, wma would
probably be something like video/x-msvideo. But most of the times,
multimedia files are (mp3, vorbis, ...) bitstream embedded in a
container (ogg, mov/quicktime, ...). And when you ask for the mime type
of a file, you get the mime type corresponding to the container (eg
application/x-ogg for ogg/vorbis iirc). And the mime type of the
container is not enough to know if your mp3 player can playback the file
or not. So using mime types will probably not be enough for "complex"
file formats.

Hopefully I'm making sense, Benjamin will correct me if what I'm saying
is plain wrong anyway :p

Christophe