Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Applet 0.1.0 Released

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 07:25:16AM -0400, Jon Oberheide wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 01:10 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
> >
> > I'm not so sure this applet is the right place for it, since it's main
> > goal is just to make it easier to operate Rhythmbox with the window
> > hidden.  Alarm functionality doesn't quite seem to fit, though I suppose
> > I could be convinced otherwise.
>
> IMO, I think the applet would be a great place for the alarm and/or
> other features not included in the mainline (such as the lirc support I
> currently manually patch in).

Hmm.  After giving it some more thought, adding alarm functionality to
the applet doesn't sound like a bad idea.  It'd just need a dialog box
and an entry in the context menu, so it shouldn't add much clutter to
the UI.

> Yes, hmm, interesting point.  I currently use xmms-alarm for my alarm
> purposes which is a bother since I use rhythmbox for all other music
> purposes.  It has good features such as setting/fading-up the volume
> levels, etc, but I've never checked what would happen if music was
> already playing.  I suppose if it was already playing you would just
> activate the alarm anyway.  If you were listening to music at a low
> volume level before falling asleep and then had the alarm set to pump
> the volume up to 100% which would obviously wake you.

The Bonobo interface doesn't give a way to change Rhythmbox's volume,
though there should be a way to manipulate the system's volume.

> > If you don't mind not using Rhythmbox and have a particular song you
> > want to play, you could run a command-line player out of an at or cron
> > job for your alarm.  But then there wouldn't be any easy way of shutting
> > it off, which could be a problem.
>
> It's definetly a rude awakening sometimes depending on the song I choose
> but I usually just stumble from my bed and hit the speaker's power.  :)

That's certainly one way to do it. <g>

> Perhaps part of your Bonobo wrapper could be considered for inclusion in
> the 0.9 branch, which last time I checked, was still lacking Bonobo
> functionality.  I'm not sure what plans Colin currently has up his
> sleeves.

The wrapper only helps clients using the Bonobo interface, so I'm not
sure what good it'd do putting it in Rhythmbox proper.  You could make a
librhythmbox that implements the Bonobo wrapper and let programs link to
that instead of doing Bonobo directly, which would make Bonobo an
implementation detail instead of the actual interface.  I guess that's
a third option in the "Bonobo or DBus" question for 0.9.