Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: usage question

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 22:26, Matt Jones wrote:
> > You're right in that a plug-in architecture probably wouldn't help the
> > UI too much. What I was really trying to say is that if XMMS replacement
> > is on the agenda, the UI model that XMMS implements isn't the only thing
> > that is going to be missed. The plethora of optional plug-ins available
> > for XMMS is something that I would personally would miss.
> >
> > As suggested in another thread, investigating if the bonobo interface
> > could be used as the plug-in interface might be worthwhile.
>
> If we're just looking at replacing xmms, we basically have everything
> set up (if you include the bonobo interface in the list) -
> Audio I/O - GStreamer plugins / modules / whatever the term is
> User I/O - Bonobo
> Visualizations - possibly a UI element?

Gstreamer does indeed support visualizations and effects via its
plugins.  The Goom
(http://www.ios-software.com/index.php3?page=projet&quoi=1) plugin is
already included in the latest gstreamer release.  The audio backend
(gstreamer, xine) seems like the right place for visualization plugins
as it is the part that would actually process the stream of data used to
generate the visualization.

Unfortunately, I've never used/seen the gstreamer plugins and am not
sure what kind of additions would be necessary to rhythmbox to do so.
If anyone has any experience using it, I'd be interested to know.

Regards,
Jon Oberheide

--
Jon Oberheide <jon focalhost com>