Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] automatic rating and weighted random

Quoting Benjamin Otte <in7y118@public.uni-hamburg.de>:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
>
> > I'd say it should only autorate in response to an explicit action by the
> > user.  If the user skips, decrease the rating.  If the user starts
> > playing a particular song, increase the rating.  But when the algorithm
> > decides what to play next, leave the ratings alone.
> >
> That would mean that for me (play whole library with shuffle, press next
> when I don't like a song) the algorithm would only rate down and I would
> end up with 2000 songs rated as 0.
> So that idea doesn't sound very good to me.

Perhaps we could make a keyboard shortcuts for "rate this song up" and "rate
this song down" ? We could then make Rhythmbox configurable as to whether or
not hitting next on a song counted as a rate-down, and whether or not
explicitly playing a song rates it up. I think those should be the only two
cases for the program making such a decision for you. This would work as long
as it were easy and convenient to rate a song without interrupting your work
flow in whatever you are _really_ doing with the computer :)

You don't want half of your playlist getting rated up because you left it on
overnight and weren't there to hit next.