Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Bonobo interface in rhythmbox-0.9

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:11:01PM -0400, Jon Oberheide wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 22:30 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> > The rhythmbox--remote--0.9 branch in my archive
> > (http://j.kaolin.hn.org/arch/2005) holds my continuation of Jonatan's
> > work, plus minimal patches from elsewhere to get it to build.
> >
> > rhythmbox-applet works, and I've checked a few of the python-based clients.
> > I haven't checked rbscrobbler or gaim-rhythmbox or
> > $your_favourite_client, though.
>
> I'll give your repo a shot with gaim-rhythmbox when I get some free
> time.

Thanks.

> Is the plan for 0.9 to continue with the bonobo interface primarily and
> then finish up dbus when the bindings mature?  I was under the
> impression that bonobo was to be comletely ripped out in favor of dbus
> but that was a while ago and I haven't been following too closely.

They can coexist quite happily.  While it doesn't really make sense to
have two interfaces that do exactly the same thing, there needs to be
some overlap to allow clients to be rewritten.

With the versions of dbus in current linux distributions, writing a
client is hard, and the work would have to be redone when dbus finally
gets a stable API/ABI.  If the bonobo interface was removed for 0.9, I'd
expect this to just stop people from upgrading.

-jonathan