Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Support for flash based mp3 players

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 16:44 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> What are you thinking in relation to trying to copy songs that aren't in
> a supported format?
The appropriate gstreamer plugin would have to be installed to play the
file in the first place, and in relation to copying said files to the
device (such as ogg source to device that only supports mp3), i suppose
a dialog noting that 'the device only supports "x" and you need to
install the "blah" package to support it' (more eloquently phrased of
course).

> My feeling would be to start copying immediately, but have a "copy in
> background" button, so that the user could continue looking for more
> songs to copy. If they dragged more songs over it would just add them to
> the list of songs to copy. Having a column with a flag indicating
> whether the song has been copied yet or not could be useful.
>
> If we did the above, I'd say that you would want to wait until the app
> exited to eject; although having a "eject now" item in the context menu
> would be good. If they tried to exit/eject while it was copying pop up a
> dialog with "Stop copying" and "Cancel, and continue copying".

Good idea, i've got to find out if with g-v-m i can hook device
unmounting, that may be a good place to run a quick sync. May be issues
when device is unmounted as the system shuts down though... gotta think
about it.

One of the main reasons i'd like to add this as a rb addition is having
more interesting progress indication. Such as instead of a dialog
showing which files are copying, having a small icon on that song. Then
perhaps the dialog can popup as the user unmounts the device or exits
rb, when there are songs left to copy.

Thanks for the input

-nick