Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Support for flash based mp3 players

Le mardi 26 avril 2005 à 18:32 +1000, Nicholas Gill (mythagel) a écrit :
> On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 09:51 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > Fwiw, creating a playlist corresponding to the device doesn't work
> > really nicely with an ipod (which contains a library and playlists like
> > rhythmbox). Currently, the (read-only) ipod support creates a new source
> > for the ipod files. Fwiw, I've got some code doing rb=>ipod
> > synchronization at cfergeau.free.fr
>
> What i am considering is in particular the devices that are not like an
> ipod. That is, flash based mp3 players without a db. This class of
> players dump files in a folder which the device reads on startup. I had
> originally thought of assigning an existing playlist to the device (the
> user would select it when the device is attached) however i think it
> would be clearer to have that association between the device plugged
> into the computer and the playlist with its name.

If you can use hal to check whether a given hal udi correspond to such a
flash player, then you can have a look at the ipod code to check how you
can automatically show/hide a specific rhythmbox source when this player
is plugged/unplugged (or more accurately, mounted/unmounted).

> > It should be done straight away (with a progress indicator, a dialog at
> > first is probably enough). It would be particulary nice if whatever you
> > do can easily be reused for other mp3 players ;)
> Another vote for immediate. I'll have to consider this then, so just to
> clarify, when a user drops a new song from the library into the device
> specific playlist, it should perform that action immediately. Ok, i'll
> make a mock up of some suggestions for progress indicators (copying, new
> on device(copied to computer), new in playlist(copy to device))

I'd write some one way code first (rb=>device is probably easiest)
instead of creating mock up for everything ;)

> Actually, now i realise something else i wanted to discuss, how should i
> handle files that are new on the device? I had considered creating a
> folder like ~/Music and dumping the files there and then adding to the
> playlist.

I'm not really following you... What are you calling "the playlist" ?

Christophe