Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Inconsistent and unnecessary rounding of ratings

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 01:25:44AM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On ven, 2005-01-07 at 17:35 -0600, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
>
> > If this sounds like a good idea, I'll gladly make a patch to implement
> > this.  Any comments?
>
> This would break other users of the bonobo interface, rhythmlet comes to
> mind. If we decide it's better to fix the issue even if it breaks stuff
> for other people, there's also the possibility that people will use an
> app expecting an integer against a rhythmbox returning a float and ugly
> things like that.

True.

> For 0.9, we probably expose a float in the bonobo interface. In 0.8, we
> should at least fix the rouding, though I'm not sure what people using
> the interface will think... Another option would be to add a new field
> containing the rating in float, but it's a bit ugly.

For what I'm trying to do with Rhythmbox Applet, just getting a properly
rounded rating would work fine.  I don't see any benefit from kludging
the Bonobo interface further, and having two things purporting to be the
rating would just lead to confusion.

Fixing the rounding should be a trivial fix: just a matter of calling
ceil() on the rating before handing it off to Bonobo, instead of
implicitly truncating it in shell/rb-shell.c.

Or, you could change the rating widget to always round down, to match
what the Bonobo bindings do. <g>

> Dunno how/if the rhythmlet authors fixed that particular problem...

Taking a quick look at the code, I don't think they did.  It wouldn't
take long for a rhythmlet user to see if the ratings for autorated songs
disagree from what Rhythmbox says or not.