[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Patch: Logarithmic Volume Control With Remote Control

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:08:47 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I'm however interested in your patch for Rhythmbox, Totem and possibly
> the Volume keys from the gnome-control-center (né Acme). Mind
> explaining what the magic values are?

There are none. The idea is simply that an increase in volume from 0.01 to
0.02 makes the music mightily louder while an increase from 0.88 to 0.90
is barely noticeable. Therefore instead of adding or subtracting a fixed
value to the volume, we multiply or divide by a certain factor. In this
way every button press turns the volume up or down by, say, 1.04.

My RhythmboxLIRC (see separate post) adds the idea of dynamic acceleration
to this. If you press the search or volume buttons only once or twice it
will modify the volume or skip by a small amount. If you hold the button
down or press it repeatedly the change gets more dramatic. Thus the first
button press will change the volume by 1.02 a pop; if you press the button
four times in a row or hold it, every press will change the volume by
1.10.

These behaviors would, IMHO, be very practical for the applications you
mentioned and make them feel more like real HiFi components (which use
logarithmic potentiometers to adjust the volume).

Best,

     Oliver