Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] music as desktop service

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 00:04 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Le mercredi 06 juillet 2005 Ã 15:03 -0400, Colin Walters a Ãcrit :
>
> > This patch changes Rhythmbox so that the primary focus is really the
> > tray icon, similar to how Muine does it.  Closing the main Rhythmbox
> > window doesn't shut it down, it just hides the window.
>
> Muine does "hide window when close button is pressed"? Iirc it switched
> from hiding to really closing the app some time ago (maybe a year ago),
> did it change behaviour again? (I don't have it installed atm to test)

I don't know actually, I just thought I saw that when I tried Muine over
a year ago, but it's not in the end particluarly important what Muine
does.  I think we should look at the expected user interaction with
Rhythmbox.

> Christophe (who isn't a big fan of "the close button doesn't really
> quit")

Ok, so...why is it you feel that way?

I know I have also been annoyed by that in one particular case: GEdit.
In my opinion GEdit is broken in doing MDI/tabs by default.  All I ever
use GEdit for is doing quick edits to a single file, then closing it.
There what always ends happening is:

1. Double-click on file in nautilus, it opens in gedit
2. Make some quick edits
3. Ctrl-w
4. Get annoyed that I now have an empty window
5. Ctrl-q

I'm sure for someone who uses GEdit for source code editing (which is
what the GEdit developers seem to be spending a lot of time on these
days), the MDI by default is nice.  But it's at the expense of everyone
else who just wants a text editor, not a lightweight IDE.

Now that that rant about GEdit aside, I can't think of any other app
that I use daily that annoys me with this.

Rhythmbox is a fundamentally different application from GEdit.  Again,
the primary use for GEdit is (or should be) to start-edit-close, in
complete contrast to Rhythmbox, which in my experience one often starts
once at the beginning of the desktop session (or just leaves running
across suspends), and periodically selects some music to play, then
wants it to go in the background.

In fact, I would argue that once you've started Rhythmbox and told it
where your music is, it is always there across sessions and always
visible.  I don't think it makes sense really to "quit" your music
collection.

Now an implementation detail one could be concerned about now is that
Rhythmbox takes up a lot of memory when it's running.  I bet this (along
with getting the library saved) are the reasons people actually want to
quit Rhythmbox.  But both of those are just *bugs* in this model.
There's no reason I can think of for example that we couldn't instead of
the XML crack do an mmap database which Rhythmbox could use directly.
When the window is closed and nothing is playing back, we simply unmap
the database.  Memory usage problem solved.  The library saving thing is
obviously a plain old bug.

Convinced? :)