Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] feedback

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 21:07 +0200, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
> 1. I seriously need the ability to search by folder/path.  An
> automatic playlist based on my ~/download/music-folder would be
> amazingly wonderful... as it is now, it's pretty painful to make a new
> playlist of these songs each time.

With some of my playlist stuff in the "merge" branch (it isn't in cvs
yet) adding paths as a criteria to automatic playlists is fairly
trivial. You'll probably want to have it monitor the folder for new
songs - which is something that RB doesn't do (yet).

> 2. When I add extra songs to a playlist, the song which was playing,
> stops.  Annoying.  This also happens on moving around the song which
> is playing in a playlist.

This will happen when you remove a song, but having it happen when you
add a song is definitely a bug. It also shouldn't happen when you move a
song in a playlist, but I can hazard a guess as to why it's happening.

I've also just realised that one of my unreviewed patches in bugzilla
probably make this worse with automatic playlists - I'd better go take a
look at fixing it.

> 4. The song-scroller should update only on mouse-release (or at least
> have an option for this), Winamp-style.  Having it skip like that just
> sounds ugly on my old computer.

What exactly do you mean by "song-scroller"?

> 5. The program remembers filtering on start-up, making my library seem
> half-empty.  Very confusing upon first encounter, and serves no useful
> purpose (although I guess a (perhaps optional) Recent Searches
> drop-down wouldn't hurt).  Another thing which would certainly help,
> is if there were a shortcut/button to clear filters (select All
> artists, All albums, no Search-filter).

The merge branch also has a button to clear the filters. Making the
search entry a combo-box, with recent a drop-down of recent search could
be handy.

> A little id3-editing would also be nice (I know EasyTag does the job
> really well, but sometimes, well, it'd be nice to just quickly fix a
> misspellign).

CVS has (experimental) support for writing tag for MP3 and FLAC files,
I'm not sure on the status of other types, such as oggs, though.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
In God we Trust. All others must submit an X.509 certificate.